Dr. Mechthild Veil
Send an email to Mechthild Veil
Self-employed social scientist in Frankfurt/M.
Mechthild Veil was born in Königsberg in 1944. She completed her studies of English and Romance Languages as well as Education in Heidelberg and Frankfurt. In her doctoral thesis, submitted to the Social Sciences / Gender Studies Department at Frankfurt University, she dealt with women's old-age provisions. "Am modernen Frauenleben vorbei" (Missing the Point of Modern Women's Lives) For this she received the Elisabeth-Selbert Award offered by the federal state of Hessen in 1992.
After many years of teaching in schools in Paris and Heidelberg, and in Frankfurt/Main as interim professor at the University for Applied Sciences, Department Social Work, she currently runs the "Büro für Sozialpolitik und Geschlechterforschung in Europa" (Office for Social Policy and Gender Studies in Europe) which she founded in Frankfurt/Main in 1998. Her research is focussed on feminist social policy and family policy in Europe.
Mechthild Veil is co-editor of the periodical "Feministische Studien" and deputy member on the Board of Directors of the Heinrich Böll Foundation Hessen e.V.
She is the author of numerous publications on reform processes in social and family policies in Germany and neighbouring European countries, viewed from a gender perspective. Among these are:
- (2010): Germany. Employment policies, unemployment administration, placement of unemployed workers: the great shake-up.
- (2008): Widerstreitende Zeitrhythmen in der Kinderbetreuung - national und international. Marching to a Different Beat - the Conflicting Rythms in Child Care Nationally and Internationally.
- (2007) Co-edited with Margret Krannich: Gesellschaftliche Perspektiven: Frauen in Osteuropa. (Perspectives on Social Development: Women in Eastern Europe.) Yearbook of the Heinrich Böll Foundation Hessen for 2006.
- (2006): Frauenbilder in Europa - Frauenbilder durch Europa. Beiträge einer Kontroverse über Konsequenzen und Gestaltungsmodelle der europäischen Erweiterung. (Images of Women Found in Europe and Images of Women Caused by Europe. A Contribution to the Controversy surrounding Consequences and Formation Models of the Enlargement of Europe.)
- (2003): Kinderbetreuungskulturen in Europa: Schweden, Frankreich, Deutschland. (Cultures of Child Care in Europe: Sweden, France, Germany.)
- (2003): Alterssicherung von Frauen in Deutschland und Frankreich. Reformperspektiven und Reformblockaden. (Women's Old Age Provisions in Germany and France. Reform Perspectives and Reform Obstacles.)
- (1999) Co-edited with Brigitte Stolz-Willig: Es rettet uns kein höh'res Wesen ... Feministische Perspektiven der Arbeitsgesellschaft. (No Higher Power to the Rescue ... Feminist Perspectives on Labour Society.)
- (1997): Zwischen Wunsch und Wirklichkeit: Frauen im Sozialstaat. Ein Ländervergleich zwischen Frankreich, Schweden und Deutschland. (The Desirable vs. Reality: Women in the Welfare State. France, Sweden, and Germany in Comparison.)
- (1992) Co-edited with Karin Prinz and Ute Gerhard: Am modernen Frauenleben vorbei. Verliererinnen und Gewinnerinnen der Rentenreform. (Missing the Point of Modern Women's Lives. Losers and Winners of the Pension Reform.)
Mechthild Veil has founded the "Stiftung Frauen in Europa" (Foundation Women in Europe), endowing it with private funds. An increasing number of women patrons is taking action.
A portrait of founder Mechthild Veil by Meike Kolodziejczyk.
Frankfurter Rundschau, Wednesday/Thursday May 16/17, 2007, Forum, Page 42
read the article in German
read the english translation